Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 1: The Arrival

Wow.

I still can’t believe it. After the 8 month waiting process, I’m finally in Tokyo, awaiting Tokyo orientation bright and early tomorrow morning.

Of course, that could just be the jetlag talking. I still feel a bit out of it. I didn’t sleep the night before the first flight, and I made it to the airport at 8 am Montreal time. I caught a flight to Toronto, had a 3 hour layover, then a 14 hour flgiht to Tokyo. Then, customs and immigration took me about an hour, and the 2 hour bus ride to the hotel brings the total time in transit to just under 24 hours. Approximately 8 am the next day back at home. Of course, 8 am there is 9 pm here, so the perfect time to go right back to sleep. I crawled into my bed, set my alarm tomorrow for 6:30, and got excited to get a full night’s sleep, since I’d gone so long without.

My dreams were dashed when I woke up at 2:30 am, 100% awake. Of course, it doesn’t help that I’m hearing occasional sirens outside with men speaking over loudspeakers in Japanese. Having no idea what they’re saying, I’m inclined to assume the worst. Nothing seems to have happened though, so I don’t think it was an earthquake warning. I’m rambling. It’s early.

Wait, I lied. I’m talking to my mom on skype. Apparently there was a quake somewhere. Trust her to hear about it first.

So yeah. I promise my other blog posts will be more coherent, but I needed something to do at 3 am.

I will close with a list of interesting/different things about Japan so far

You can buy meals at a convenience store. I knew this going in, but was still shocked at the variety and the deliciousness.
There is actually very little vegetarian choice. Even at the hotel restaurants in Tokyo. I expected it in the smaller places but not here.
you hand over bills with both hands. I knew this, but I’d forgotten. Oops.
The toilets have a bidet with them! You can press the buttons on the toilet to wash your butt! Also, the flush button is hard to find. In the airport I couldn’t find it, so I very annoyingly tried the “flushing sound” button, which was the only thing with the word “flush” in it. Turns out, it’s exactly what it sounds like. Only the flushing sound. There were volume adjustments and everything. Why would ANYONE ever need that button? I am utterly confused. Eventually i put down the lid and found that the actual flush was exactly where I would expect it to be.

So yep. That’s all for now, hang tight, I’m sure there will be plenty more later, when I am ACTUALLY functioning.

Sleepily but excitedly yours,

Jeri

No comments:

Post a Comment