Tuesday, June 19, 2012

7: Helpless Women

Dear Japanese Women,

You are smart, funny and sexy. You have brilliant ideas and you can do anything you set your mind to. If you want to learn English, you can learn English. If you want to play sports, play sports. If you want to be a doctor, nurse, hairdresser, anything, you can do it.




So seriously, stop acting like you can’t do anything. It isn’t cute.

I know that you think boys will like you more if you pretend that you can’t do things, but your attitude is getting in the way of you actually achieving anything. If I see one more student giggle in class and say “I don’t know, I don’t understand!” while smiling and nudging her friends, I might just smack some sense into them.

If I see you swinging a bad badly on purpose on the field, I will laugh at you.

That being said, I realize that not all Japanese women are like this. Many of them are strong, independent and really great. It just seems that the culture perpetuates this idea that women are less than men and are expected to act as such if they want to be seen as proper women. And that’s not cool.



So chill out. You're awesome.


Love,


Jeri


I don't have photos of Japanese girls, so here's one of me and my mom in Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment