Tuesday, June 19, 2012

8. The Adoption of Western Symbolism

There is absolutely nothing funnier to me than Engrish. Even if it is spelled perfectly and is completely grammatical, English in Japan is just so... Japanese.

Here are some great examples, taken from my own experiences:












I find it fascinating that this English is written on pencil cases and shirts; billboards and street signs, packaging and postage stamps; and yet nobody seems to know what any of it means. Nobody even has to make sure it makes sense, because the only people it causes any problem (read: amusement) for are the practically negligible number of foreigners.

You would think that if you have this much English, albeit ridiculous English, in your culture, that you would make an effort to learn the language, but this is only true for students that aren’t at my schools. Apparently.

Anyway, Engrish is funny. That was my main point.


This isn't Engrish, but it's hilarious.

2 comments:

  1. I've actually read more than half of you blog, pretty amusing I must say! :) Take care... Dor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to South Park, the middle example is the proper way to use a toilet. XD

    ReplyDelete